16 March 2023

Ways to give advice












Ways to give advice

·         You should/ shouldn’t + infinitive
·         You should have, shouldn’t have + past participle
·         You ought to + infinitive (formal)
·         It would be a good idea if you + past simple
·         If I were you, I would ...
·         You had better ... + infinitive
·         You will have to + infinitive
·         It is time you + past simple
·         Why don't you ... + infinitive
·         You could always ... + infinitive
·         Have you thought about ... + ing

·         Imperatives (don't ... Do ...)





  1. I have a friend who is really tight-fisted. Every time that we go out for a drink or a meal he says he hasn’t got any money or he mysteriously disappears to the toilet when the bill arrives. At first we thought “poor John he never has any money”, but he works 6 days a week so he must have some money. What should we do?
  2. My best friend is always flirting with my girlfriend. He always pays her lots of compliments like “Wow! You look fantastic tonight!” Also when we go to parties he often asks her to dance. It’s making me really angry. What should I do?
  3. I share a flat with a friend and she keeps borrowing my things without asking. At first it was just little things like books and DVDs but now she’s started borrowing my clothes and when I want to wear my favourite dress for example, I find it on her bedroom floor unwashed! What should I do?
  4. I have invited 20 people over for a big dinner party, they are arriving in 20 minutes. I was going to cook a big roast turkey but I put the oven temperature too high and it burned! The dinner is ruined! What should I do?

No comments: