2 May 2024

C1 __10A I really wish I´d be on time: Learn to give a presentation or speech



________________________________________________

👉1. SPEAKING AND VOCABULARY: Communication verbs.

c. Think about these questions:
  • What makes a good presentation? 
  • What kinds of things can go wrong?
d. e. f. Do the rest of the exercise and check below.

Key: e.   1  present    2 demonstrate   3 address    4 move on to   5  go into   6 illustrate    7 make

         f.  a. 1 demonstrated   2 address  3 move on to   4 made   5presented   6 illustrate   7 go into
             b. 1c   2h   3g    4b  5f    6a  7e    8d



________________________________________________
👉2. READING

a. Read the introduction of the reading on page 117, TED and the first part of How to Give a Killer Presentation. Then answer the questions.

b.Read Chris Anderson´s advice on giving presentations. Match the headings you´ll find in the exercise with the correct advice.


c. Read the advice again and do the exercise. Check it in the link below.
👀Key


d. Which piece of  Chris Anderson´s advice do you think is the most relevant for you? Why? 

Original listening here: 
________________________________________________

👉LISTENING
Have a look at the TED talk you were reading before.







👉Answer the questions while you watch the TED (without subtitles). Afterwards, check the answers by reading the subtitles and listening at the same time.


1. Why can wild animals migrate out of the park freely?
2. Why did Richard Turere grow up hating lions?
3. Who are the morans?
4. What was Richard´s first idea to protect his animals?
5. What did he prove to be effective in protecting them?
6. What´s his big dream?
7. Does he hate lions at the moment?


👉Were you as impressed with Richard´s speech as Chris Anderson was?

________________________________________________

Page 118
👉3. LISTENING 

a. Think about this question:  Would you feel more comfortable doing a presentation for work/school/university or a speech for a relative/friend´s birthday/ anniversary/wedding?

b. Listen twice to three people talking about giving a speech or presentation. Answer the questions in b and write your impressions about the questions in part c. of the exercise.
   🔊Track 4.40
👀 Key

d. Language in context: Idioms: Plans into action.
1. Complete the idioms in bold with the words in the box. Then listen and check.
  🔊 Track 4.41
2. Match the idioms in 1 with their meanings. Check below. 
key:  a4     b7     c3     d8      e1      f5      g6     h2

Script page 188.


👉 4. REGRETS AND CRITICISM STRUCTURES

VIDEO EXPLANATION


                       






 👉  










15 comments:

Sofía said...

In my case, I think that the most relevant advice that Chris Anderson's makes on giving presentations is "Develop stage presence". This is something that I've been working on for years, in high school and also in university. I've noticed a differece but I still have to work a lot on it. I'm quite shy and I get nervous easily so, taking this advice, making eye contact with 5 people that look friendly I think that would help me a lot making me feel more comfortable.

JORGE said...

Which piece of Chris Anderson´s advice do you think is the most relevant for you? Why?

The piece of advice that has most impress me was to address to the audience as if some friends or acquaitances were there, in order to seem less nervous. It is something that I have always done when I have had to make an oral presentation in university, and I thought that I was the only person in the world to do it. But I have to admit that not taking into account every single Chris Anderson's advice is the most important one. Every person is different and has to find his delivery and his methods to mesmerize the audience.

Sara García said...

I wish I had studied Biotechnology because nowadays this degree has a lot of opportunities in the laboral work

Gabriela García Saldivar said...

From my point of view, keeping simple and preparing the presentation are worthy advises cause the main objective is to transmit your ideas and convince people that you know what you're talking about, so the more time you practice the better prepared you'll be and giving a concrete message, people will understand in a painless way.

Gabriela García Saldivar said...

I wish all Mexican people had economical support from government so they could stay at home during this pandemic.

Ana H said...

d. Which piece of Chris Anderson´s advice do you think is the most relevant for you? Why?
The most relevant piece of advice for me is to frame the story. Sometimes speakers don´t limit the scope of their talks and, inevitably, the audience´s minds go far away for the given explanation. The shorter the story is, the more number of people will catch it.

Sara García said...

d. Which piece of Chris Anderson´s advice do you think is the most relevant for you? Why?
In my view, trying to memorise the presentation is the best way to attract the public and capture all their attention as Chris Anderson says in the text. I believe if you know all the information that you are going to give in your speech, yo transmit your ideas clearly and show that you are a good spokesperson.

Ana H said...

If only I were rich, I would stay in a bigger house with swimming pool during this pandemic.
I wish I had bought a better car.
I wish she would stop watching TV so loudly. I need to study for my exams.

Ana D. said...

d. Which piece of Chris Anderson´s advice do you think is the most relevant for you? Why? From my personal experience, the most important point is "frame the story". It must be adapted to the audience if you expect to engage them. Giving examples is useful because they illustrate what you are talking about, thus people will remember the speech keys easily.

Ana D. said...

I regret losing touch with an old friend. We met the first day at the university, y we were close friend since that moment. After university we moved together to a new city and we were roommates for three years. Unluckily we lose touch over time with no reason.

Paula G.G said...

I have regrets about a bad decision I had when I was young with some kind of social activity. I never said what I really thought for fear of what the others would say. I always asked forgiveness, whether I was guilty or not, but I thought that this way was the right one. I wish I hadn't acted like that because time after, I realized a lot of people took the advantage of that. Now, I think that I should have said what I was always thinking, I should have given my opinion, every time as the others, with no matter about what people might think about me. Actually,I think it is time to respect other's opinions and not judge.

JORGE said...

I wish I hadn't stopped studying English when I went to the university for the first time

Miguel said...

I think the most useful advice given by the curator of TED talks is that you have to frame the story. Sometimes we start speaking or telling a story without framing it or giving the context to the listeners. So imagine they have just listened to a story totally different than yours. If the story they are going to listen to is not framed, the attendants will spend some time and attention to frame it by themselves.

Noelia said...

From my point of view, I couldn't agree more with the paragraph that not to train body language is a relevant mistake. We usually get nervous when doing a presentation and pay attention to our bodies and try to get relaxed, will help the audience connect more with us.

Elisa Rebollo said...

If only someone like Chris Anderson had crossed into my life six mounths prior to my speaking exam some years ago. Currently I know body language has a huge value to transmit an idea, not just the thoughful. I wish I knew manage it.